Saturday, October 27, 2007

Run with your heart ...

It's been awhile and I have not had time to blog. I've tried several times but other things took precedence. Work has been positively insane and there does not seem to be an end in sight. October is usually my busiest month due to CELDT so while that is not too unusual, other work has kept me from getting CELDT done in the time span I had planned and it has put me behind. I may have to ask for a short extension. I have also had late meetings that have kept me after school hours and that has interfered with my running schedule to some extent.

I broke up a fight this week between a Hispanic kid and a black kid. When I came upon them in the quad the black kid was throwing punches at the Hispanic's face. My assistant and I yelled a them to stop. There were Hispanics and blacks standing around instigating the whole thing so I yelled at them them to back off. School policy is that if anyone stands around either watching or instigating a fight they will be suspended too. When we started yelling at them to stop a couple of the Hispanic kids grabbed their friend who was fighting and pulled him away; the black kid on the other hand took off and when I told him to stop he ran off while giving me the finger. Had I not had heels on that day and my expensive bag with all my papers in it I would have run after him and tackled him. I could have outrun him any day. Later the AP asked me why I didn't at least take off my heels and throw them at him. I love San Martin! One of the best APs we have. Takes crap from no kid. I guess that would have worked too. Next time perhaps... I took the Hispanic kid to the office and they said they would track down the black kid..... Life in the day of a high school teacher. ......... Actually that doesn't happen very often. Our school gets a bad rap but it's really not that bad.

I seem to be keeping up my mileage pretty well and I am averaging 25 - 30 miles a week. My long runs are are increasing and still strong. I did 15 miles Sunday before last and 17 miles this last Sunday. Our running group has become tighter now and our training has intensified. We ran hills this last weekend (17 miles of them) and it felt awesome. While I was tired after the 17 miles, I was invigorated and by the next day I was completely back to normal. No pain at all anywhere.

This Sunday I'm doing the half in Folsom. I'm packed and ready to go. My Garmin is already in my bag and so is my Ipod. My Garmin has been amazing! I swear by it and have been able to improve my pace and consistency. I can't imagine running without it now. I have not hooked up the heart rate monitor yet due to lack of time but I will definitely train with it before CIM.

I feel great. The pain in my right foot is still there but not too bothersome and my spirits are high. I am much more focused now than I have been in months and that has made a real difference. I am also getting more sleep which has worked wonders for my training. Carmichael wasn't kidding. Listen to the experts.......

Can't wait for this race. It's a half with a relatively flat course and the only hill is at the end of the race (that's always a killer). I vow to not go out too fast and to pace myself the entire way. This will be my first race with the Garmin and I am excited about my potential results. My best half time so far has been 2:10 (Santa Cruz, 4/2007) soI want to come as close to 2:00 as I can. I would love to break 2:00 but I don't see that happening right now. Thanks for all the support everyone!

Thanks Jim for the encouragement .... it will be great to see you...

Cesar, thanks for the best wishes. Can't wait for Sunday night.... Good luck on your game ....

Betty, I will miss you. Don't forget it's you and me on December 2nd. Remember there's a burger with our name on it.

LB - Thanks for tonight - you have always been true to me. That is so rare these days ....

So.... after stopping at REI to get some PowerGels my next stop is Folsom.

Stay tuned fellow runners ....

No comments: