Thursday, June 28, 2012

Missing my Runs

I hit Day 45 today in the 60-Day Bikram Yoga Challenge. I have to say that my balance, core, posture and strength have improved DRAMATICALLY. It simply amazes me how we can transform our bodies with just a little dose of determination and persistence. It certainly pays off! Postures that I was previsouly having issues with are now some of my favorite postures. Namely TRIANGLE, which previously always seemed to knock me to my knees and I'd end up sitting out the during the second rep. Not anymore!! My hamstrings have become incredibly stronger as have my hips, quads and glutes;and my flexibility has improved quite a bit. I cannot wait to see the results at the end of the 60 days. My daughter is doing the challenge along with me and is doing fantastic despite this being her first challenge. She's already lost 10 LBS and has gained a TON of flexibility. All this yoga has also done wonders for my running as a way of cross-training and building stamina.

Both of us however, have been craving a nice long run and we are looking forward to getting back to our running routine, so last Sunday I hooked up with my Commando Weeples Team from the Ragnar Relay we're running in September and ran a 10K in Concord put on by RoadRunner Sports. Simply AMAZING! I started out a bit stiff from not running for over a week and half, but surprisingly I felt light on my feet after about the second mile. Best 10K I've done in a LONG time! Finished in 1:02 and felt AMAZING!!!

Commando Weeples Team
 As soon as theYoga Challenge is over, the official training for Ragnar and Tough Mudder will begin. I see RUNNING in my future. :)

Have you gone for a run lately?

2 comments:

Devon @ CrossTraining said...

Love your blog :) I follow you on Facebook (I'm "Distant Runners") ;) I found you on dailymile too! Keep up the good work!

Devon
www.devonintraining.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Thank you Devon! As you can see I am not so on top of this whole "blogging thing." LOL... I've been blogging since 2006 but they are very sporadic. I checked out your blog as well and now I just have to find the time to read them... :) Keep it up girl!!!