Monday, November 19, 2007

Running buddies ....

Running is one of those sports that brings people into one's life in the most amazing ways. I was once again reminded of this yesterday when we were out on our 10-mile taper run out on the Brookside levee. I was at about mile 6.5 when I ran into another runner out for a morning run. We proceeded to run and talk and I once again felt honored to share the path with such a wonderful person. Lynn is a 57 -year old runner who has only been running since her early forties and she has run 12 marathons, including Boston and New York, countless small races and my favorite: the American River 50. She ran that one in 2005 when she was 55. What an amazing person! She proceeded to tell me about the 12 long hours it took her to finish and how empowering it was to cross that finish line.

I remember a time not so long ago when I set a goal for myself of running just one marathon in my life time. Back then I felt certain that I would feel very accomplished if I did that. It's only been a year since my first marathon and I am about to run my 5th....

Life is good isn't it?

And yes ..... the American River 50 is on my list of runs to do but before that one I will qualify for Boston, run Big Sur in Monterey, and repeat the SF Marathon with a less embarrassing time.

Stay tuned fellow runners ...

No comments: