Monday, August 6, 2007

My Beautiful Daughters


Stephanie and Vanessa bring me so much joy. At 13, Stephanie is entering into the wonderful world of teenagehood (OK, I just made that up, but I'm allowed 'cause I'm the English teacher), and it has been amazing to see her blossom into the beautiful young woman she is today. She is sweet and kind and has a beautiful smile. She is also smart, a great student, and loves math (she didn't get that from me I'm sorry to say). To top it all off, she is an avid reader (she did take after me) and devours books much the same way I did when I was her age. She has been in GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) since fourth grade and this year in the eighth grade is doing some freshman and sophmore level work. I could not be prouder of my firstborn. She will begin soccer this year for the first time and my hope is that she falls in love with the sport so she can continue with it through high school. If not, I am sure she will find another sport that interests her. I have invited her to come running with me but she is not sure she is ready yet to try it. I am so proud of you Steph!!!


Vanessa, my second born is my "wild one." She is the one who never runs out of energy and who plans on "running a marathon someday so I can win you lots of money mommy." She probably will too. Vanessa is highly competetive and does not take losing well. True, she is only seven, however I doubt her competitive streak will fade with the onset of "maturity." Hopefully she will learn to do it with slightly more grace than she does now. Vanessa is in the second grade and while not in GATE yet, will undoubtedly follow in her sister's footsteps by the time she reaches the stated-mandated allowance for entrance into the GATE program (4th grade). She is already reading at a fourth grade level so she too is devouring books. We recently had to clean out her bookshelf and pass the books on to her younger cousins and she proceeded to make her way into Steph's room to see if there was anything on her shelf she could read. She did come away with a couple of selections that Stephanie had forgotten to remove from her shelf. Vanessa too will start soccer in the fall so both girls are very excited. They've got their shorts, shoes, socks and are just waiting to get their jerseys.


I am proud to be their mom and am thannkful that I am privileged to raise them. They bless and amaze me everyday. I love you girls!!!

No comments: